Monday, June 13, 2011

Why I Am Fasting Today

Shane Bauer & Josh Fattal, who have been held in Iranian detention for almost 2 years

Today, I am fasting in solidarity with my friends Sarah Shourd, Shane Bauer, and Josh Fattal, who were arrested and imprisoned in Iran almost two years ago. Sarah was freed last year, but Shane and Josh continue to suffer in Evin Prison, separated from their families and loved ones. Shane and Josh have gone on numerous hunger strikes in an effort to receive communications from their families, giving up the little food and comfort they have. It is likely they went on a hunger fast after their trial was postponed last month. I am fasting to remember and shed light on Shane’s and Josh’s plight, with hopes that they will soon be freed to come home to their families, who miss them terribly.

I have just returned from Palestine, where I met with Palestinian men, women, and children unjustly imprisoned for struggling nonviolently for freedom and equality. When I met them two years ago in Syria, Sarah and Shane were also working tirelessly for a better world, a dream I know they share with Josh. All those who support peace and self-determination for all people should keep Shane and Josh in their hearts and minds. Their struggle is our struggle.

For more information about Shane, Josh, and their fight for freedom, visit www.freethehikers.org

For more information on the fast, click here.

No comments: